® (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, educational initiative of the National Center For Fathering. There are 2 primary goals of the WATCH D.O.G.S. ® program.
• Students gain positive male role models.
• Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears. The presence of a father or father figure will provide an additional
deterrent to bullying, enhance a sense of security in the building, and will help to create an environment
conducive to learning.
• Fathers get a glimpse of their students’ everyday world and learn about the increasingly complex challenges
and decisions today’s youth are facing. As a result, they can learn to relate better to their student and
hopefully connect with them.
• Fathers gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their student’s life in three critical
areas including: academic performance, self-esteem, social behavior.
• Due to budget shortfalls and cutbacks, often teachers are presented with larger classrooms each year. The
WatchDOGS volunteers provide real and important help for the teachers and the students.
Who are WatchDOGS Who are WatchDOGS (Dads Of Great Students)?
WatchDOGS are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one day each year at
an official WATCH D.O.G.S. ® school. During the day, WatchDOGS may read and work on flash cards with students,
play at recess, eat lunch with students, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow and any other
assigned activities where they actively engage with not only their own students, but other students as well. Many
school principals have reported that the mere presence of a WatchDOG dramatically reduces reports of bullying. On
the day of their participation, WatchDOGS are given a brief review of their involvement and they wear an official
WATCH D.O.G.S. ® t-shirt with a disposable ‘Dog Tag’ identifying them as WatchDOGS.
To be a Watch D.O.G you must register as a volunteer through the Norfolk Public School System. Click the link here:
to register for free!